Old Kentucky Home (pre-1998 fire)
From Interstate 40 take Interstate 240 to Asheville:
From Interstate 240 East take the Merrimon Avenue Exit (5A). Go straight through the stoplight onto Market Street. Go one-half block, the visitor center is on the left.
From Interstate 240 West take the Merrimon Avenue Exit (5A). Turn left onto Merrimon Avenue. At the stoplight turn left onto Woodfin Street. Go one block and turn right onto Market Street. Go one-half block, the visitor center is on the left.
- Historic Structures
- The early 20th-century boardinghouse called "Old Kentucky Home," was the childhood home of novelist Thomas Wolfe. The 29-room house was reopened in 2004 after an extensive restoration following a fire that damaged much of the structure in July 1998. The Wolfe children's playhouse is also on the property.
- Visitor Center
- An exhibit hall and audiovisual program depicting Wolfe’s life and literature are located in the visitor center. The center also contains a display of art inspired by the writings of Thomas Wolfe.
- Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibits
- Heirloom gardens, similar to the vegetable and flower gardens of Julia Wolfe, are planted around the boardinghouse.
- Handicapped Accessibility
- The first floor of "The Old Kentucky Home" is wheelchair accessible. The visitor center is fully accessible.
- Picnic Facilities
- Gift Shop
- A gift shop is located in the visitor center with books and souvenir items related to Thomas Wolfe.
Programs, Group Activities
Annual programs include "A Day In May, 1916", which focuses on what it was like to live and work in Mrs. Wolfe's boardinghouse and "A Walk Through Dixieland", a literary program presented in October. Hands-on activities are available for scheduled elementary school groups.
Guided tours of the historic "Old Kentucky Home" are offered daily at the bottom of each hour. We ask that groups make reservations in advance.
Tours: Adults - $5; Children - $2.
Pre-registered adult groups are $2.50 per person.
School groups are $2 per person.
Beginning 2015, add 7% to above prices.