Town Creek Indian Mound, Montgomery County
The site is located in Montgomery County, five and one-half miles from Mt. Gilead on Town Creek Mound Road. Signs point the way south from N.C. 731 and north from N.C. 73. The site is about one and one-half hours from Greensboro and Charlotte and two hours from Raleigh and Durham.
- Historic Structures
- The reconstructed ceremonial center includes the mound and major temple, the minor temple, and burial house or mortuary.
- Visitor Center
- The visitor center contains interpretive exhibits and audiovisual programs that bring alive a rich cultural heritage from the buried past.
- Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibits
- A nature trail along the river includes ferns, plants, and many types of trees. The burial house contains an exhibit depicting a burial scene with an accompanying audio program.
- Handicapped Accessibility
- The visitor center is accessible to all visitors. There is a short walk to the ceremonial center. The minor temple and burial hut are accessible.
- Picnic Facilities
- Fourteen tables are available on the grounds.
- Gift Shop
- A sales desk is located in the visitor center. Items include educational books, jewelry, T-shirts, and postcards.
Programs, Group Activities
Special events throughout the year focus on Native American lifestyles. Hands-on activities are available in the spring and for scheduled groups.
Self-guided tours of the rebuilt structures and mound are available during normal operating hours. Guided tours are given with hands-on activities for scheduled groups.
No admission fees. Donations are accepted.
Town Creek & Indian Culture
Return to top of page
Return to the Town Creek Indian Mound home page