Visitor Center Interior
From U.S. 70, west of downtown Kinston, exit on U.S. 70 Bus. east (W. Vernon Ave.). The site is located approximately one-half mile on the right.
- Historic Structures
- The remains of the hull of the Confederate ironclad CSS Neuse are on display.
- Caswell Memorial
- New exhibits were installed in August 2007, rededicating the building to Governor Caswell. The Caswell Memorial building also houses offices, restrooms, and a gift shop.
- Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibits
- The Caswell family cemetery and the Lenoir County Korean and Vietnam War Memorial are located at the site. There is also a Civil War Trails marker at this state historic site.
- Handicapped Accessibility
- Tours of the CSS Neuse are accessible to all visitors. The Caswell Memorial is fully accessible.
- Picnic Facilities
- Tables are available on the grounds.
- Gift Shop
- The visitor center sales desk has items related to all aspects of the site’s history.
Programs, Group Activities
A fall living history program features troops camped on the banks of the Neuse River depicting military life during the Civil War. Spring school group activities feature Civil War-related demonstrations for scheduled groups.
Guided tours of the CSS Neuse are available upon request. We ask that groups make reservations in advance.
No admission fees. Donations are accepted.
The Site Today
CSS Neuse History
CSS Neuse Recovery & Preservation
Return to top of page
Return to the CSS Neuse & Caswell Memorial home page