8-inch Columbiad — Heavy weapons similar to this piece (front-pintle carriage, mounted en barbette) were stationed in the second gun chamber of Shepherd's Battery, on the land front of Fort Fisher.
Barbette Carriage — Top View.
4 ½-inch Parrott Rifle — A Parrott rifle, similar to the 30-pounder siege weapon pictured here, was stationed in the third gun chamber of Shepherd's Battery (together with an 8-inch columbiad).
24-pounder Coehorn Mortar — Two of these small, hand-carried mortars were stationed on the land front of Fort Fisher: one each in the fifth and sixth gun chambers.
12-pounder Napoleon — Fort Fisher employed three fieldpieces similar to this Napoleon. Two were stationed in the center sally port, and one guarded the "Bloody Gate" at the River Road sally port. A Parrott rifle was also in position at the edge of the river marsh, near the gate.
Notice: Cannon graphics © Mark A. Moore.
All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication prohibited.
Coggins, Jack. Arms and Equipment of the Civil War. Wilmington N.C.: Broadfoot Publishing Company, 1989. (Originally published 1962).
United States War Department. Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1880-1901.