The Van Der Veer House is the newest addition to the historic structures in Bath. It was constructed around 1790, probably by Ephraim Whitmore. The house features a gambrel roof and double-shouldered Flemish bond chimneys.
Jacob Van Der Veer, one of the founders of the Bank of Washington (1851), bought the property in 1824 and occupied it for twelve years.
The house and property then changed hands many times in the late nineteenth century, and was once known as the H. W. Beasley Plantation. During its long history, many interior and exterior alterations changed the structure's appearance.
In 1970, the dwelling was moved to its present location. Exterior restoration, initiated in 1972, restored the house to its original appearance.
Today, the Van Der Veer House is open to the public, and features exhibits relating to Historic Bath.
Reeves, Linda, ed. Bath Towne. Raleigh, N.C.: North Carolina Office of Archives & History, n.d.