The Buzzard Hotel (origin of the name is unknown) was identified as one of the structures worthy of restoration for public use in the 1957 historical survey of Bath Town.
At that time, the building was thought to date from 1740, but it was later learned that the structure had been altered on several occasions. It was also learned that the building had been built with previously used materials, which made it difficult to date.
Specialists from the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources suggested the year 1830 as a probable date of construction. This would have made it roughly the same age as the nearby Bonner House.
Efforts to secure the property for inclusion in the fledgling historic site were unsuccessful, however, due to differences among the owners. The old building stood uninhabited for many years, and was condemned and demolished around 1980.