Historic Bath

Colonial Period – A National Historic Landmark

European settlement near the Pamlico River in the 1690s led to the founding of Bath, North Carolina's first town, in 1705. By 1708, Bath had 50 people and 12 houses. It soon became North Carolina's first port. Political rivalries, Indian wars, and piracy marked its early years but in 1746 Bath was considered for the colony's capital. However, when county government moved away in the late 1700s, Bath lost most of its importance and trade. Its original town limits encompass a historic district today. Continued

The Site History

The Site Today

Other Resources/Features

Historic Bath

What's New?

  • Looking for a memorable venue for your wedding, meeting, or event?
    Select locations at Historic Bath are available for special occasions. Call (252) 923-3971 for details and pricing.


  • Check out our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages! Give us a "Like" or "Follow us" to learn more about Historic Bath. We also now have a new blog! Please visit our social media sites for information on projects, opportunities, fun facts, pictures, and more.

Upcoming Events

  • September 6:
    St. Thomas / Glebe House Lecture

    Saturday, 10 am - 12 pm
    Josephine Hookway, long time Bath resident, Historic Bath Commission member, and St. Thomas Episcopal Church member, will share the history of North Carolina's oldest extant church, and the Williams "Glebe" House. After the lecture, Mrs. Hookway will lead participants on a one block walk for a tour of the c.1830 home, which is owned by the Diocese of East Carolina and is being restored to its former glory by St. Thomas Church members. There is room for 60 people in the visitor center orientation room where the lecture will be held.


Historic Bath Information

Contact Us

Historic Bath
P.O. Box 148
207 Carteret Street
Bath, NC 27808
Phone: (252) 923-3971
Email: bath@ncdcr.gov

Hours of Operation

Tuesday - Saturday 9 am - 5 pm

Admission for House Tours

Adults - $2; Students - $1
Price is "per house" for tours of Palmer-Marsh and Bonner Houses.

 


Return to top of page