In May, 1892, E. T. Sasser was contracted to build a frame schoolhouse for $430 for District 32 (white) in the Nahunta community. The building was to be 40 feet long, 24 feet wide and to "rest upon good earth blocks." Sasser also agreed to dig a well and to furnish a rostrum and fifty desks. On August 22, 1893, Sasser wrote a school district committee member that the school was completed and ready to be inspected.
One of sixteen schools for whites built during the decade in Wayne County, it was described by the superintendent as an "ordinary house with homemade furniture." Oak Plains School and others were consolidated to form Nahunta High School in 1915. Later this school was used as a tobacco packhouse for many years until it was moved to the Governor Charles B. Aycock Birthplace in 1961.